Thursday, February 16, 2012

Garageband Spelling Tests


It might sound old school, but students still take spelling tests in my English class. Each week students write in a journal about whatever they want; some students write stories, others share what is going on in their lives and a few share their interests and expertise with me. From these journal entries I gather frequently misspelled words and, each week, I generate a spelling list of about sixteen words.
So what is a spelling test doing on a blog about technology? I record my spelling tests using Garageband ($4.99). There are free apps that will do this too, but I had Garageband already and it is very easy to use and edit.
My tests need to be an accurate reflection of the students ability to spell and by giving students the exact same “context sentence” and pronouncing the word exactly the same every time I ensure that my test scores can be compared from one period to another--not just to other students in the room. Pronunciation might sound like a very minor thing, but for some spellers the difference in annunciation will have a major effect on their spelling of the word.
As I’ve said in previous posts, one of the primary advantages of integrating technology on the teacher side of the equation is that it frees up more time. By recording the test, I’m free to get other work, like entering scores from the previous period. More importantly, when a student misses the test they don’t need a teacher, aide or friend to read the list to them. They just move the iPad out in the hallway (or plug their earbuds into the jack) and take the test.
Eventually, I would like to record the list in advance of the spelling test and post it online for students that want to practice but don’t have somebody to read the list to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your ideas, questions, and comments. That is what the Internet is about!